Ingredients ( serves 2-3 ):
Basmathi rice – 1 1/2 cup
Fennel seeds/ Perum jeerakam – 2 tsp
Cinnamon stick/ patta – 1 small stick
Cloves/ Grambu – 2-3
Cardamom/ Elakka – 2-3
Star Anise/ thakkolam – 1 ( optional)
Bay leaf – 1-2
Chopped beans – 1/2 cup
Chopped carrot – 3/4 cup
Fresh/ frozen Green peas – 1/3 cup
Potato -1 ( chopped)
Green chillies – 3 ( optional, I didnt use it )
Boiling water – 2 3/4 – 3 cup
Ginger – garlic paste(Inji – veluthulli paste ) – 1 tsp
Turmeric powder – 1/ 2 tsp
Salt – 1 1/2 tsp or as required
Ghee/ oil – 2 tbs
Soak Basmathi rice for 30 minutes.
Meanwhile chop beans, carrot, potato and keep it aside.
- In a pressure cooker add ghee/ oil and add the whole garam masala’s ( cinnamon, fennel, cardamom,star anise, cloves, bay leaves ) and saute until it releases nice smell ( for a minute or so).
- Add ginger garlic paste and saute for a minute until raw smell goes.
- Add chopped carrot, beans, potato and Green chillies (if using ) and saute for 5- 10 minutes.
- Add Green peas, turmeric powder and stir.
- Finally add soaked rice and stir for a minute.
- Add boiling water, salt and mix. Cover the pressure cooker and put the weight on. Turn off the flame when the first whistle comes.
- Open the cooker when the pressure releases and serve immediately.
Vineetha Susheeb is a food blogger (Ruchi) and an amateur food photographer with great passion for cooking, baking and cake decoration. Vineetha hails from Kannur, Kerala and is currently living in London with her husband and 5-year old son.